I've been baking. I've been baking. I should be doing 20 other things but I'm baking. Who decides to bake a Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie in 90 degree NYC Summer? Your girl right here.
A few Saturdays ago it was so hot I stayed in and spent all day on Pinterest. Why? Because that's what Pinterest does to you. It just sucks you in. At one point I was looking at Baby Nurseries and Bridal Inspiration.
While I was browsing the boards I found a recipe for a Tollhouse Pie - while it looked amazing the butter & salt content was too high for me, so I modified. I made two pies to test my alternate recipes and pie two was the winner. You can find the recipe below.
I also found recipes for Rice Krispy or Rice Krispie Treats (depending on where you grew up). I had not had these in so long. My Mom was not much of a baker but she would whip these up for us all the time. I had not had them since I lived at home, so feeling a bit nostalgic I made a batch. These are perfect for a hot day when you don't want to turn on the stove.
What are some of your favorite Summer Treats? Any other No Bake recipes you are willing to share? You can scroll down for my recipes from below.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
**If you want to be a warrior you can make your own pie crust - I have only done this once in my life and it was a total disaster. Whole Foods, Trader Joes, & Fresh Direct all sell pre-made pie shells and dough.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I buy them at Trader Joes, but you can use chocolate chips if thats all you have)
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a pie plate with the unbaked pie crust or if you are lazy like me its already in the pan because thats how you bought it.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs on high speed until light & foamy. Add the flour and both sugars to the bowl and mix again. Add the softened butter and mix again.
- Stir in chocolate chips (using a spatula or wooden spoon)mix them evenly throughout. Spoon batter into the pie crust.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean. Start checking on your pie around 50 minutes (as oven temps vary).
- Cool for about 30 minutes.
Rice Krispy Treats
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 bag of large Marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- Use a glass 9x9 dish - if you don't have that you can use an aluminum pan but you might want to line with foil & spray with nonstick cookie spray
- In a large pot, over low heat, melt the butter. When butter is melted add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted. You need to stir non-stop or this will turn into a burnt mess.
- Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispie cereal. Stir until coated.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting - you speed up the process by putting them in the refrigerator.